Saturday, October 15, 2011

Assessment Experiences

Recently I was asked what type of assessment I encountered most often while I was taught mathematics throughout my school years.  Before I began taking classes toward my teaching degree and credentials, this question would have been easy to answer.  The only types of assessment I experienced was written tests, written homework, and working problems on the board. 

Now I find this question incredibly difficult to answer because I am aware of all the different types of informal assessment that I never would have noticed as a child.  It is very possible that my teachers carried out many types of informal assessment just by observing me as I work and listening to my answers in class.  In fact, I am positive they did exactly that.  However, I don’t know that it was to the extent that informal assessment is carried out today.  Frequently it was the answer that mattered, not the process.  Today, I find much more emphasis on performance assessment of various types and the student must explain the why and how, not just provide the answer.  Honestly, I think this is one of the most important changes that could occur in mathematics instruction because being able to clearly explain your reasoning is a skill that can lead to a lifetime of success. 

No comments:

Post a Comment