Saturday, October 15, 2011

NCTM Process Standards: Has the Focus Changed?

Today, mathematics teacher are encouraged to employ NCTM Process Standards in their lessons.  Though they are not standards to be taught by themselves, the Process Standards are meant to guide lesson planning and implementation so that students develop these important process skills.  The NCTM recognizes these skills are vital for students to succeed throughout school and later in life.  However, I do not feel this was always the case.

When I was in grade school, I only remember a focus on two of these process standards: problem solving and reasoning and proof.  In fact, the primary focus was on problem solving.  The only time I faced reasoning and proof was in geometry when we focused on proofs of theories.  Though I still managed to develop many of these process skills on my own, I am pleased to see they are actively being incorporated into every day lessons now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment